Trabajadores Unidos Workers United Lead Organizer
Trabajadores Unidos Workers United (formerly known as Young Workers United) is dedicated to improving the quality of jobs for workers in SF. We raise standards in the low-wage service sectors in San Francisco through worker & student organizing, grassroots advocacy, leadership development, and public education. We advance economic justice for young & immigrant workers through strategic partnerships with workers center & immigrants rights groups.
Trabajadores Unidos Workers United (TUWU) is seeking a new bilingual (English/Spanish) Lead Organizer to help carry out our vision to advance justice for immigrant workers in low-wage industries in San Francisco.
Membership & Organizational Oversight (30%)
- Supervising 1 - 2 field organizers responsible for worker organizing.
- Help lead, train and develop organizers in worker organizing
- Responsible for recruitment and retention of membership
Campaign Strategy (30%)
- Provide leadership for worker justice campaign development and implementation.
- Lead and support strategic worker justice campaigns.
Organizing & Worker Services (40%)
- Building TUWU’s membership of low-wage immigrant workers, many of whom are from the Latinx community, to use collective power and advance economic justice.
- Coordinate and conduct recruitment of community members to community programs, events and actions, including phone calls, in-person meetings and use of social media.
- Help with membership political education and activities with other organizers.
- Help implement community outreach and education activities related to workers rights, including planning and facilitating educational workshops, conducting street outreach, and developing outreach materials
- Coordinate and conduct individual or group meetings with low-wage workers experiencing workplace issues and manage cases, including documenting and filing legal claims
- Experience organizing and advocating on behalf of low-wage workers, people of color, women, LGBTQ, and immigrants
- At least 3-5 years experience working in labor and/or community organizing including developing members.
- At least 1 - 2 years experience managing and developing labor or community organizers.
- Fluency in verbal Spanish required and Spanish/English translation and written skills preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision; must be well organized, persistent, and self-motivated.
- Commitment to worker and member leadership in all aspects of the organization’s work
- Commitment to gender, racial, social, and economic equality
- Dedication to improving the position of working people through direct action, organizing, and legislative campaigns.
- Strong organizational, writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with SF, CA labor law and union/community organizing.
- Experience working and/or organizing in restaurants, retail or other service sector jobs
- Experience working with multiracial, low-wage communities.
- Experience managing staff and helping provide guidance and leadership.
- Experience with popular education teaching
- Experience with consensus decision-making and meeting facilitation
Salary and Benefits:
This is being offered as a full-time position, with an estimated salary range between $56,000 - $60,000, DOE, with medical and dental benefits, plus paid vacation, sick time, and holidays (including a 2 week winter closure). We have a generous benefits package that includes gym benefits and other goodies!
How to Apply:
Submit resume, cover letter, and three references. Open until filled.
Trabajadores Unidos Workers United is a fiscally sponsored project of the Chinese Progressive Association, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ and disabled people are encouraged to apply. Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.