Black Futures Lab and Black to the Future Campaign Manager
This is a shared position between the Black Futures Lab and the Black to the Future Action Fund which are fiscally sponsored projects of the Chinese Progressive Association and the Center for Empowered Politics. The Black Futures Lab is a 501 (c) 3 that transforms Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems Black communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. The Black Futures Lab combines strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve, while building political power at the local, state and national level to implement those alternatives.
This position is shared with our sister entity Black to the future Action fund a separate 501c4.
The Black Futures Lab is working to advance a policy agenda in response to the Black Census Project, the largest survey of Black communities in America in 154 years. We aim to improve the lives of Black communities while building Black political power, by deepening awareness of the issues impacting Black communities, and the approaches to address those issues. The Black to the Future Action Fund advocates for legislators to adopt our approach to governance and our policy proposals related to the Black Agenda 2020, and works to train Black grassroots leaders to design, win, and implement policy that improves the lives of Black communities in cities and states across the nation.
The Campaign Manager will work with both the Black Futures Lab and the Black to the Future Action Fund, to oversee the development, design, and successful implementation of each organization’s campaigns to pass the Black Agenda into legislation in cities and states. Specifically within the Black Futures Lab, the Campaign Manager is responsible for overseeing education efforts related to our c3 campaigns. Separately, within the Black to the Future Action Fund, the Campaign Manager will be supporting, designing, and working with our organizational partners and legislators at all levels of government to implement and win policy campaigns that improve the lives of Black communities across the nation.
The Campaign Manager will report to the Principal, work closely with the Communications Associate, Organizing Director, and the Political Director under their capacities within each of the organizations. This position is full time and is remote.
DUTIES + RESPONSIBILITIES
Black Futures Lab
- Collaborates with Black Futures Lab Organizing Director and Political Director to develop and implement strategic vision around direction of legislative campaign work.
- Oversee and support education and advocacy campaigns around the Black Agenda for 2020 and Beyond
- Build and maintain partnerships and relationships that build the strength and viability of campaigns and issue areas.
- Represent Black Futures Lab at key strategy and alliance meetings.
- Conducts campaign evaluations.
- Works closely and collaboratively with the Communications Associate on communications strategies for campaigns, leveraging traditional and new media to achieve campaign goals.
- Collaboration on events, volunteer recruitment, organizing meetings and regular communication with campaign partners and other allies.
- Identify and support community members, allies and experts to give testimony at key hearings and act as spokespeople with the press.
Black to the Future
- Manages and coordinates the Black to the Future Public Policy Institute, including overseeing participant and trainer recruitment, training operations, and evaluation.
- Coordinates and defines scope of work for Institute consultants.
- Builds our advocacy infrastructure, strengthens partnerships with key stakeholders, prioritizes directly impacted communities and individuals, and coordinates with campaign partners to track progress and win on the campaign’s goals.
- Partnering with trainees, develops campaign plans for the Institute and manages implementation, integrating legislative, organizing, communications, development, and legal strategies in collaboration with other staff and community partners.
- Collaborate with Black to the Future Political Director to track legislative and policy opportunities and victories
- Collaborate with Black to the Future Political Director to build, maintain and manage a database of municipal, state and federal Black elected officials
- Works closely and collaboratively with the Black to the Future Political Director on legislative strategies and campaigns
- Develop and maintain deep substantive knowledge of campaign goals and issues and the dynamics of policy change.
- Help coordinate research to inform the development of local policy agendas and develop benchmarks to ensure effective progress toward campaign goals, adjusting plans as necessary.
- Prior experience developing, coordinating, and managing successful issue advocacy legislative, or political campaigns, motivating volunteers within large, diverse coalitions, and engaging decision-makers.
- Experience using policy analysis, lobbying, polling, communications, and/or mobilizing or organizing tactics to influence a policy agenda.
- Demonstrated commitment to the advancement of racial justice
- Familiarity with policy and legislative advocacy in municipalities, states, and federally.
- Knowledge of, or an ability to quickly become conversant with the latest research, messaging, and tactics used to educate the public and move policymakers.
- Ability to establish credibility and respect with people, create opportunities for their input and leadership to guide the campaign, and work collaboratively with other constituencies and policy makers from a range of backgrounds and ideological positions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage details and follow-through with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, supervise staff and volunteers, monitor progress towards goals, and track campaign metrics.
- Team player who inspires collaboration, lifts up the work of others, and maintains balance and perspective with patience and a sense of humor; ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance the campaign’s effectiveness
- Proven ability to build and nurture a calm and positive working environment, even in high-intensity situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and proven ability to work with emotional intelligence, receive feedback, work through conflict with integrity and operate within principles of solidarity when working in partnership with groups representing constituencies impacted by oppression.
- Proven ability to work in a manner that respects differences in race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Excellent research and writing, analytical and communication skills, including ability to analyze and articulate legal concepts, polling information, and other complex issues and to communicate them to a variety of audiences.
- Experience working with media, including print, radio, television, and new media preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, databases, and various web platforms.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evening and weekend events as necessary. Willingness to travel.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range is $70,000 to $80,000, commensurate with experience. This position comes with medical and dental benefits, generous paid vacation, sick time and holidays. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Please apply at blackfutureslab.org (using the drop down menu under “Get Involved.” Include your cover letter, resume, and three references. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
We will begin reviewing applications ASAP. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website.
Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBT and differently-abled people are encouraged to apply.
Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.